Google Glass promises to introduce augmented reality for its users. By simply using the glasses, it will be possible to view the status of Facebook, Twitter updates, maps, and much more running in the background of our physical environment.
Augmented reality has also been integrated into Android applications. By taking advantage of the phone’s GPS, the camera and other sensors, you can view the surroundings by adding virtual objects.
In this list, certainly not exhaustive, we will talk about some of the best augmented reality (AR) apps for your Android device.
You can use this application to scan everything around us, such as restaurant menus, food products, magazines, posters, billboards, hotels, industrial plants, and much more. Look around and you will be surprised to see digital information hiding around the corner. With this application, you can immediately get directions to the supermarket closest to us, product prices and much more.
In addition, the new version of Layar also allows you to view videos directly from augmented reality.
You can also create your own levels using. It can be obtained by registering on the site http://layar.com .
Recognized in the past four years as the “best augmented reality browser”. Wikitude is your “third eye” and allows you to look at the world as you normally don’t see it. The augmented reality of Wikitude allows you to look at the world around you in a completely new way. Using the camera, simply lift the smartphone to capture the surrounding world. You can get information about places, find restaurants and people, and even play, all through the Wikitude field of vision. Wikitude now offers you a completely new and improved view of the surrounding world. By grouping some of the places near you, you now have a clear view of the world around you.
– Explore places in augmented reality or watch them on a map or in a List view
– You can access more than 100 million interactive places and content, made available by thousands of content providers, or better known as “worlds (world)”
– Search for specific places, such as “Thai restaurants”
– Organize your content worlds and add bookmarks according to your preferences and lifestyle
– Download updates and “available worlds” to find out what’s new and interesting
– Find the worlds you are looking for among the many categories available
– Find events, tweets, Wikipedia articles and ATMs
– Check out the restaurant and hotel suggestions made available by Yelp, Qype, TripAdvisor, Hotels.com and many others around you
– Find coupons, offers and discounts from stores near you
– Play in augmented reality, for example with Alien Attack, Swat The Fly or Bubble Tap
– Create your world in augmented reality and share it with your friends, so that you can both see your favorite places
Search by taking a photo: point your phone’s camera at a picture, a monument, a QR or bar code, a product, a showcase or a famous image. If Goggles detects the image in your database, it will provide you with useful information.
Goggles are able to “read” text in Italian, French, English, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian, Turkish and to translate it into other languages.
Goggles also work as a QR and barcode scanner.
– Reading bar codes to find product information
– Reading QR codes to extract information
– Recognition of famous places and monuments
– Translation through photographs of texts in a foreign language
– Adding contacts through reading business cards or QR codes
– Text scanning through OCR (optical character
recognition ) – Recognition of paintings, books, DVDs, CDs and any other 2D image
– Sudoku resolution
– Search for similar products
With Google Maps Street View, you can explore the world through stage-level images. You can see famous places, visit places you like in your city or in distant countries, or take a virtual trip around the world.
To use Street View on Google Maps, search for a place or long-press a point on the map, then tap the Street View option.
For more information on Street View and to find out where it is available, visit maps.google.com/streetview .
Are you looking for an open pizzeria? A pub nearby? A gas station to reach before it stays dry? Yelp for Android is here to help. Use us to find places to eat, shop, drink, relax and play, and then read the reviews of an active and well-informed local community.
– Search for businesses near you using the Android’s integrated “Location finder” functionality
– Use the quick links to find pubs, restaurants, cafes and much more in the surrounding area
– Filter searches by neighborhood, distance, price, and what is currently open
– Read reviews to know what you shouldn’t miss (and what you can do without) in your city
– Find addresses and phone numbers for thousands of businesses, and then use your Android to call or map them
An application for machine safety and to prevent accidents!
iOnRoad improves driving in real-time using the power of the most advanced smartphones. The app uses the camera, GPS and smartphone sensors to detect vehicles nearby. The radar detects objects in front of the driver in real-time and calculates the vehicle speed through the sensors. When the vehicle approaches a hazard, a visual and audible signal appears to prevent a possible collision, thus allowing the driver to brake in time.
This, I repeat, is certainly not an exhaustive list, but only serves to get an idea of the applications that we can find in the PlayStore.